BlackBerry has announced that it has resumed the BBM rollout for Android and iPhone customers around the globe. Over the next few hours, people will find BBM in Google Play, the Apple App Store and in select regional Samsung App Stores for free download. BBM for iPhone is now also optimized for iOS7 and BBM for Android includes new features like the BBM chat widget, which allows people to keep up with BBM conversations without having to open the app.
According to the company, the demand for BBM on Android and iPhone devices continues to soar. “About six million people have pre-registered at BBM.com. Did you know that more than one million people have already found creative ways to “side load” BBM on their iPhone? Clearly the demand hasn’t lessened,” said the company in a statement.
The company further added that with this interest is a testament to the public’s appetite for BBM, it also means that the demand needs to be managed. As a result, a simple line-up system will be implemented to ensure a smooth roll out. Here is how it will work:
- Download BBM – the easiest way is to visit BBM.com from your Android or iPhone browser
- Once you install the app, open it, and enter your email address to hold your spot in line
- We will email you as soon as you reach the front of the line and can start using BBM
“However, as a thank you to those who pre-registered for launch alerts at BBM.com, we have given them front of the line access,” said the company. BBM promises to be the best private social network for people’s most important contacts and conversations. Users can rest assured that only the people they have allowed as contacts will have access to them or their statuses. BBM uses PINs to protect personal information. People can share a phone number or email to connect or engage, but ONLY if they want to. BBM is immediate, trusted and puts control of personal information in the hands of the user.
The majority of BBM customers use BBM an average of 90 minutes per day. Currently, BBM customers collectively send and receive more than 10 billion messages each day. Messages on BBM are typically read within seconds, reflecting how truly engaged BBM customers are.
BBM for Android and iPhone features:
- BBM Chat (One to One or Multi-Person Chat) – Enjoy real, immediate conversations with friends on Android, iPhone and BlackBerry smartphones. Not only does BBM let you know that your message has been delivered or read, it also shows you that your friend is responding to the message.
- More than chat – With BBM you can share files on your phone such as photos and voice notes, all in an instant.
- Keep your group in the loop – BBM Groups lets you invite up to 30 friends to chat together and goes a step further by allowing Groups to have shared photo albums, files and calendars.
- Post Updates and stay in the know – BBM lets you simply and easily post a personal message, profile picture and your current status, and lets your contacts know instantly in Updates.
To help new, and previous, BBM users, BlackBerry has posted some how-to videos on the BlackBerry YouTube channel (www.youtube.com/blackberry) to help people get familiar with, or re-familiarize themselves with BBM.