Meizu has finally released in the Chinese market the world’s first smartphone that comes with an internal storage space of 128 GB. The 128 GB variant of the Meizu MX3 only works on TD-SCDMA networks which means that it is designed to be used only in Chinese networks. The device can still be used internationally. However only the 2G GSM functionality will work. This model is now selling for ¥3,999 (around $656).
The Meizu MX3 was first officially announced by the company last September at the Beijing National Aquatics Center. Aside from its huge storage capabilities the device also has impressive hardware specifications which allow it to compete with other popular Chinese models.
Meizu MX3 Technical Specifications:
- 5.1 inch 16M-color 1080p capacitive 15:9 aspect, 412 ppi display
- Android OS v4.2.2 Jelly Bean with Flyme 3.0I
- Quad-core 1.6 GHz Cortex-A15 + four 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7 cores, PowerVR SGX 544MP3 GPU; Exynos 5410 chipset
- 2GB RAM
- 8 MP autofocus camera with LED flash
- 1080p video recording @ 30fps, continuous autofocus
- 2 MP front-facing camera, 1080p video recording
- Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, Wi-Fi Direct and DLNA
- GPS with A-GPS
- 16GB/32/64GB/128 GB of built-in storage
- microUSB port with USB host and MHL 2.0
- Bluetooth v4.0
- NFC on 32/64/128 GB models
- Standard 3.5 mm audio jack
- Accelerometer and proximity sensor
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- 2,400 mAh battery
If you are familiar with the Meizu MX2 then you will notice that the MX3 is much larger with a dimension of 66.1mm x 110.2mm. The MX3 however is 21% thinner than the MX2 with a measurement of only 9.1mm.
In terms of performance the device is quite powerful since it uses Samsung’s Octa-core Exynos 5 processor combined with 2GB of DDR3 RAM. This will allow it to multitask smoothly and run any graphically intensive game without any hiccups.
All these powerful hardware parts amount to nothing if the battery gets drained quickly, which is why the company added some features to help save battery life. The company uses 5G WIFI which they say saves up to 50% power. The PSE Screen Refresh and the Sensor Hub allows the device to use the Little configuration of the CPU which consumes less power.
Overall the 2400mAh Sony battery is able to provide 14 hours of 3G, 12 hours of 2G, 9 hours of 3G web browsing, 10 hours of WIFI web browsing, 7 hours of 1080 video, 40 hours of music of 393 hours of standby time which is quite impressive.
Reports indicate that a 128 GB designed to work on W-CDMA networks is being planned.